Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Lorenzo Bartolini

born 7 january 1777
died 20 january 1850

had the patronage of Napoleon.
neoclassical with a romantic twist
I wasnt able to take pictures in the Accademia, but their sculpture room was amazing. Lorenzo Bartolini was one of the most impressive classical sculptors I have ever seen. I was disappointed not to have learned about him in my previous art education.
I also hadnt realized until looking up his other works that one of my favorite pieces in the Met is his. The Demidoff Table is captivating. It's in the middle of a hallway right near Charles Cordier's Capresse de Colonies, which is another one of my favorites.







He handles his figures delicately, and he has a great sense of composition of anatomy

The way he handles the feet in this sculpture was what really caught my eye:



No comments:

Post a Comment