Saturday, September 1, 2012

Vik Muniz

One of my favorite artists that is working now is Vik Muniz. He was born in 1961 in Sao Paolo, Brazil. He's known as a photographer but is famous for working with unconventional materials such as chocolate syrup, trash, plastic toys, and caviar. He appropriates many of his pieces, one of my favorite being "Double Mona Lisa, After Warhol" (1999), in which he recreated the Mona Lisa out of peanut butter on one side and jelly on the other.
He's in a documentary called Waste Land (which is on Netflix). It follows him over three years in his native Brazil, to the largest trash dump in the world in Rio de Janeiro. There, he photographs the "catadores," or trash-pickers as he creates portraits from the items they pick.
"Mother and children (Suellen)"

"I draw with sugar. I draw with wire, thread, things that are very bad to make representations... I don't want people to simply see a representation of something. I want them to feel how it happens. The moment of that embodiment is what I consider a spiritual experience." -Vik Muniz

http://www.vikmuniz.net/


"Valencia Bathes in Sunday Clothes" (from Sugar Children)"Portrait of Jackson Pollock" (from Pictures of Chocolate)





No comments:

Post a Comment